Wednesday, March 08, 2006

6th Project In The Works!


FRONT BACK

Well... I have to tell you all, I purchased the Curley Q scarf pattern & put it to the test. Needless to say, as a newbie in the loom knitting world.... I failed to understand the pattern directions. I failed miserably! I need visuals. So basically I wasted $5 on a pattern I can't use. At least not right now. Later I'll hunt down someone who can "show me" what they mean.

In the mean time my hands felt creative. Playing around with my adult sock loom, I found a very pretty stitch that I'd love to know the name of. My scarf is being made using 26 of 28 pegs. The yarn is single strand light baby blue alpaca cloud fingering weight. The photos on my monitor appear much darker than the yarn really is.

The scarf has a nice pattern on both sides. I start with a double wrap on peg #1, dip under peg 2, up & wrap around peg 2 in an upside down "e" wrap, to peg 3 in a regular "e" wrap, to #4 upside down "e" wrap, so on & so forth.

It sounds complicated but it's not. I have no clue what the stitch or pattern is called so I call it.... "this way & that way" stitch. Simply because I switch back & forth every other peg with the "e" wrap. The results are very pretty.

* So please, if anyone recognizes this stitch or pattern, please leave a cooment so I as a newbie to the loom knitting world, can start learning some of this knitting lingo.

12 comments:

Isela said...

Email me and I can help you with the Curly Q. It looks complicated but it is really easy. If you have knowledge of purling and a vague knowledge of short rows, you can do it :).

Debi said...

I don't know what stitch it is, but I LOVE it!!!! Can you sketch out how to do it? ( I'm visual, too)

Windsprinter said...

Hi Pam,

Nice Blog! I am also a loom knitting newbie sooooo,I'm afraid I'm not much help in identifying the stitch you are using but, it certainly looks more like a crochet stitch than a knit stitch.

My Two Cents. Thanks for inviting comments!

Windsprinter

Sorka said...

When you do the upside down e wrap are you then knitting off from the inside of the loom?
And.. do you wrap every row like that the same pegs are always wrapped backwards every row??
Inquiring minds want to know.. I have a idea as to what it is.. but no one has done it this way so far.. well except in my brain. It's one of those thoughts i had along the way but with 4 kids to look after those ideas quite often stay ideas!
Denise
Knitchat.com

Brittany said...

Please elaborate more on how you created this stitch. I would love to learn how to make it but like you I do better with visuals step by step.

Thanks

Pam's World said...

* I casted on in this same pattern. * Pam

Brittany said...

Thank you for the diagram that helps a ton. Can you post a second one saying what you do on the next row and how you knit off? Sorry to be such a bother.

Brittany said...

BTW knit off is when you pull the bottom strand up over the top and off/over the loop.

Anonymous said...

Pam,I tried the st pattern using an acrylic WW and had trouble knitting off the backward ewrap (pegs 2,4,6, etc). They were tight, so I had to knit those off in 2 steps. When wraping backwards, the yarn crosses right where you insert the tool and it seems to bind and get tight. Maybe, with Alpaca, you don't have that problem. I only did a small swatch to see if I could do it, and I think you have a winner here. Barb in NC

american girl in italy said...

I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I can't seem to understand the directions/get a decent pattern out of this at all. I am trying, because I ve the look of it... I don't know what I am doing. I guess I don't understand the directions correctly. I am still trying. Anyway, yours looks nice... :OD

GRAMMIECOOPIE said...

LOVE THE "THIS WAY AND THAT WAY" SCAARF TOO...ACTUALLY ALL OF YOUR THINGS ARE WOWNDERFUL...LOVE GRAMMIE

pamsplace said...

To all those inquiring minds that have requested better details on this mysterious stitch I did to create my scarf... I will TRY to do another project with it using a synthetic yarn to see if there is a different outcome. I will also WRITE DOWN :o) everything I do & how I did it as that was purely accidental. An experiment!
I will post it here when I get 'er done.
Pam